SaskPower is a Saskatchewan Crown Corporation incorporated under The Power Corporation Act. SaskPower is Saskatchewan’s leading electricity supplier since 1929.
SaskPower recognizes that you may have questions about what we do with your personal information. You may wonder what measures we take to protect your privacy. This Privacy Statement sets out the principles by which SaskPower collects, protects, uses and discloses the personal information of our customers and business partners.
Privacy Principles that SaskPower Follows
SaskPower is committed to protecting personal information in its possession or control in accordance with The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Saskatchewan) and all applicable laws.
SaskPower will ensure appropriate controls for the collection, use and disclosure of personal information required to carry out SaskPower business.
SaskPower commits to:
- informing individuals of the purpose for which personal information is collected;
- using personal information only as permitted or required by law;
- not disclosing personal information except with the consent of the individual or as permitted or required by law;
- except as may be limited by law, providing individuals with access to their personal information. Where it is appropriate, SaskPower amends this information to ensure continued accuracy and provides individuals with a means of having their privacy concerns managed; and,
- SaskPower safeguards information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure based on the sensitivity of that information.
SaskPower Protects Your Personal Information
We respect the rights and privacy of personal information that you provide to us. We have policies, processes and guidelines in place to help protect your personal information. We have controls in place to restrict access to this personal information, according to job requirements and on a “need to know” basis.
- limit employee access to your personal information. Only employees who need to know your information to do their job can access your personal information;
- maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to keep your personal information safe and confidential;
- review as required the monitored transactions that leave a trail of the access code of the person using the system and the day, time and what customer information was accessed.
- where required to share your information with a third party service provider, we will give them the least amount of information needed to provide the service we require, restrict their ability to use the information for any other purpose and require them to keep your information safe and hold it in confidence.
Collect: to gather, receive or record personal information from any source, in any format and by any means.
Disclose: to make personal information available outside of SaskPower.
Personal information: information about an identifiable individual as defined in The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Saskatchewan). This does not include aggregate information that cannot be associated with a specific individual.
SaskPower: SaskPower and its subsidiary companies.
Third party: an individual or organization other than the customer, the customer's agent or SaskPower.
Use: the treatment, handling or management of personal information by SaskPower.
We gather, maintain and use the personal information you give us to provide our products and services to you and to administer your account. The type of information we request depends on what is needed to deliver the particular product or service. In most cases this includes your name, mailing address, phone numbers and service addresses if they are different from the mailing address. We also require two of the five pieces of identification listed below to allow us to confirm your identity.
- Driver’s licence
- Billing account password
- Treaty number
- Date of birth
- Mother’s maiden name
If you choose direct billing from your account, we require financial information to enable that process.
Generally, when SaskPower collects personal information for provision of services and products, we obtained this with your explicit consent or as allowed by law. Your consent remains valid even after our relationship with you has ended.
For employment purposes
SaskPower retains a database on individuals who have sought employment with SaskPower. This database retains all information provided to SaskPower by an applicant on the application for employment or in an applicant's resume. In addition, SaskPower retains the results of any employment or skill tests conducted by the applicant at SaskPower’s request for the purpose of determining a candidate’s suitability for employment. This information is held by the company exclusively for the purpose of recruitment and hire.
When you visit our site, we collect your IP address so we'll know where to send the information you are requesting. This IP address does not personally identify you.
Our site collects aggregated site visitation statistics using cookies, small text files containing a unique identification number that identifies your browser to our computers. Cookies tell us which pages are visited, by how many people, the average time spent and other useful statistics relating to the use of our site. This information does not identify you or link you personally to products or services purchased through saskpower.com. All gathered information is captured on an anonymous basis. This information helps us enhance the online experience of visitors to our site. We use the statistics to understand how customers use our sites, to make it easier for you and other visitors to use, to monitor our site's performance and to improve our website.
We also use this information to target the delivery to you of information about our products and services that may be of interest to you. You won't be sent any promotional materials from any of our promotions that are no longer being offered in the marketplace. You can opt out of online advertising at any time, by visiting http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/.
To assist you, cookies help us remember who you are through your browser settings, while saving your passwords and preferences so you don't have to enter them each time. In short: cookies save you time. We never combine information gathered by a cookie with personally identifiable information.
You don't need to accept cookies to visit our site. However, should you choose not to accept these cookies, your experience at our site may be diminished and some features may not work properly.
Telephone calls and other communications
We may record telephone calls and other communications. We will inform you if the communication is being recorded. Calls and other communications may be recorded to ensure quality customer service, confirm our discussions and your instructions, resolve complaints and train our staff. If you do not want your communications recorded, you can do business with us by visiting our website or by writing to us.
When you apply for services or products online, the consent you provide allows us to share the personal information described above between various departments within SaskPower and with our business partners for business purposes.
Typically, we use your personal information for purposes such as:
- Invoicing or billing for services.
- Collection of overdue accounts.
- For general business needs including:
- To verify your identity.
- To respond to inquiries, questions and concerns and to communicate with our customers.
- To conduct litigation that arises out of our business including collecting a debt or enforcing an obligation you owe us.
- To detect, investigate and prevent fraud.
- To meet legal and regulatory requirements.
- To conduct business audits.
- To conduct surveys and internal business analysis, gather broad demographic information, compile statistics and develop products and services.
- To respond to your requests for access to information, privacy concerns or requests for corrections in your personal information.
- To improve business processes and business systems through secured data testing.
- To notify you of products and services to meet your needs.
- Gathering statistical information such as usage or consumption patterns.
SaskPower will disclose your personal information only when you authorize its disclosure and when permitted or required by law.
SaskPower is required to comply with The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. This Act not only sets out our obligations to protect your personal information but also indicates when that information may be disclosed without your consent.
Without your consent, we can share your information:
- to respond to a subpoena, warrant, court order or other comparable legal process;
- with other departments within SaskPower and our affiliate companies;
- with prescribed law enforcement agencies for enforcing the laws or carrying out a lawful investigation;
- with other municipal, provincial and federal government ministries and agencies for determining eligibility for programs and services and for investigating fraud;
- with our third party service providers who deliver a service or program on our behalf;
- with the Ombudsman;
- with the Privacy Commissioner;
- with collection agencies, health districts, universities, etc.; and,
- With Canada Revenue Agency for collecting money owed to the Government of Saskatchewan or Canada.
Retention and Destruction of Information
Information will be retained and destroyed in a secure and confidential manner in accordance with SaskPower’s data retention schedules.
We may use third party service providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Services.
Google Analytics is a web analytics service that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our service. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network. For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page: https://policies.google.com/.
SaskPower uses social media to give our customers the opportunity to engage with us and to take a look inside SaskPower. We’re here to listen and will work to ensure our channels are a place for you to get the information you need. We are active on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Flickr and YouTube.
View SaskPower’s social media participation guidelines.
SaskPower takes privacy and security very seriously. We ask that you do not share personal information (such as your address, account number or other personal details) with us through social media. We will remove posts that include personal information to protect customer privacy, but as with any online service, people should exercise judgment about the kind of information they share.
SaskPower uses Twitter as one way to communicate with our customers and stakeholders. Our use of Twitter is intended to support communication between us and other Twitter users.
SaskPower’s decision to follow a particular user does not imply endorsement of any kind. We follow accounts on Twitter that we believe are relevant to our mandate. The appearance of a Twitter user as a follower of the SaskPower Twitter account does not imply endorsement. Tweets that we retweet do not imply endorsement on our part. We may retweet news and links that we believe are relevant to the work we do in the power industry and/or of interest to our followers.
We respect personal information as required by Saskatchewan’s The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Also, we ask followers to respect the personal privacy of others. However, we cannot guarantee that all users will comply and we cannot be held accountable for personal information tweeted by participants. We will remove or block followers who tweet the personal information of others.
You participate at your own risk, taking personal responsibility for your tweets, your username and any information you provide. Hosting may be outside of Canada and those tweets are subject to the laws of other countries. To protect your privacy and the privacy of others, please do not include things such as telephone numbers, email addresses, account numbers, other personal identifiers or personal information.
Links to Other Sites
Our services do not address anyone under the age of 18 years (“children”). We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 18 years. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided us with personal information, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected personal information from children without verification of parental/guardian consent, we will take steps to remove that information from our servers.
Accessing and Amending Your Information
As a customer, you have the right and responsibility to verify your personal information and amend it as necessary. You can request a copy of your personal information by contacting SaskPower Customer Services at 1-888-757-6937 or contact us online. Customers should let us know of any inaccuracies or omissions. We will make the required changes and advise you of the updated information.
Withdrawing your consent
Subject to certain legal and contractual restrictions and reasonable notice, at any time during or prior to receiving a service from us, you may refuse to provide information to SaskPower or withdraw your consent for SaskPower to collect, use or disclose your personal information. You may also opt out of certain communications we may send you regarding other products and services. SaskPower will seek to continue to provide you services, but any withdrawal of consent may affect our ability to respond to your service or product needs.
Breach of Privacy
If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, first contact SaskPower’s Chief Privacy Officer. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of an inquiry or complaint, you may address your concerns to the Office of the Saskatchewan Information and Privacy Commissioner.
If you want to:
- Access your personal information or have your information corrected,
- Change your consent with respect to how we collect, use or disclose your personal information, subject to legal restrictions,
- File a complaint about our privacy policies or the manner in which we've handled your personal information, and/or
- Inquire about any other privacy questions or concerns,
please contact SaskPower’s Chief Privacy Officer.
For general inquiries regarding privacy, please contact us at:
If you are not satisfied with our response to your privacy concern, you may wish to contact: