We're committed to managing emissions as we rebuild the electricity system to meet the needs of our growing province. We've set a target of up to 50 per cent of generation capacity from renewables by 2030. To achieve this goal, we will double the percentage of renewables in our supply mix in just 15 years.
Meeting this target will significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions – about 40 per cent below 2005 levels. It will also provide opportunities for private sector power producers.
We’ll add 60 megawatts (MW) of utility scale solar generation by 2021.
"The launch of Saskatchewan’s utility-scale solar electricity generation procurement marks another major milestone for renewable energy in Canada. Saskatchewan’s world-class solar energy resource combined with significant cost declines in recent years make solar energy a more cost-effective option for the province than ever before. The time is right for Saskatchewan to begin to explore the role that solar energy will play in the province’s future supply-mix."
- John Gorman, President & CEO, Canadian Solar Industries Association
Our Plans for Solar
As part of our plans to power a sustainable future, we’ve developed a phased approach to adding utility scale solar projects to our provincial grid. This involves a combination of:
- 2 x 10 MW projects through procurement to private sector power developers
- 2 x 10 MW in partnership with First Nations Power Authority
- 20 MW through community driven projects. Consultation with interested developers will begin this fall. Updates on that process will be posted here.
Our Goal for Wind Power
Our goal is to have 30 per cent wind power capacity by 2030.
Timeline for Procurement
As we plan the procurement process, we’re reviewing our policies for soliciting projects from independent power producers to make sure our processes follow best practice and fairness standards and meet the needs of power producers and other stakeholders involved. We’ll post more details as we develop our plans.
|Solar||Request for Qualification (RFQ):
Current Supply Opportunities
Request for Proposals (RFP) has closed.
Contract award expected in Q1 of 2018.
|Wind||Request for Qualification (RFQ):
Current Supply Opportunities
Request for Proposals (RFP) currently open.
RFP closes March 2018.
Contract award expected by Q2 2018.
Saskatchewan Renewable IPP and Supplier Information Session Presentations
On November 17, 2016, utility-scale independent power producers (IPP) and suppliers met in Saskatoon to learn more about SaskPower's future plans for renewable power, related opportunities and project requirements.
- SaskPower – Plans for a Sustainable Future
- SaskPower – Wind and Solar – RFQ/RFP Process
- SaskPower - Connection Availability
- Canadian Wind Energy Association (CanWEA) – Project Development
- Canadian Solar Industries Association (CanSIA) – Canadian Solar IPP Day
- Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment – Environmental Considerations for Energy Projects in Saskatchewan
- Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment – Wildlife Siting Guidelines for Wind Energy Projects